Sunday, November 27, 2011

How to Make an Improvised Art Quilt: Day 7...Bordering

Now comes the moment of truth. The composition improvised from fused fabric scraps is complete but really needs a border. Why? Because I've run the design right up the the edges of the background fabric. A border will frame the quilt and add formality. And much like an empty room, give the composition more room to breath.
 
The question is what fabric should I use. Should it be strips of fabric like this? By strip fusing them they would overlap the composition about 1/4" around each side of the quilt making a striped border.
Or should I cut the composition with a decorative blade and drop it onto a piece of batik fabric like this?
The batik fabric wins out! It has many of the colors in the composition but does not overpower the piece like the strip fused border above. It frames the piece, making it the star. As, I center and fuse tack it into place on the fused background fabric, I'm happy to report that I do like this improvised art piece.
And because I like it so much, I'll be happy to add hand stitching! But first comes a few more steps of drudgery. Stay tuned for more tomorrow!

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love how that looks as the background, perfect shades to bring out the colors in your piece.

Debbie

.Cookin.Crafts. said...

You are incredibly talented!!!!! It's such a beautiful piece!!!!