Friday, November 11, 2011

A Sticky Situation with My Muse

Inspired by the beautiful pine trees here at Art Quilt Tahoe, I decided to create a quilt based upon the huge pine cones found beneath the trees. These pine cones are the size of a football and harken back to the age of dinosaurs and tar pits. (Not that I remember those days, but you get the idea.)
Here is my muse, carefully posed on my fusing table. Like a still life painter, the shapes are analyzed and the cutting of fabric begins. It will be a blue pine cone!
Happily cutting out blue fabric and fusing it to a red background, I notice movement on the pine cone. Soon little flying things emerge into the warmth of the room in search of a dinosaur or tar pit.
Hastily snapping up the pine cone, I race outside and return it to nature. It's then I discover sap on the cutting table, my tools, and hands.
So, let this be a lesson to you. Next time you want to follow your muse, make sure it's not a sappy one.

8 comments:

yorkie mom said...

Love that pine cone block!

TheaM said...

that quilt came out well, even with the sticky situation...
leave those pine cones out in the woods - the squirrels do a great job of dismantling them!

Suztats said...

I'm stuck on this idea! lol

eily62 said...

I love your daily take on life. You always make me smile!

WoolenSails said...

I have been trying to think of pine cone ideas to make as small ornaments and fill with pine. I think using a backing then placing the pieces on, might be a good idea.

Debbie

Donna said...

I'm loving your pine cone quilt! Blue was a great choice of color. Despite the sappy pine cone incident, Tahoe sure looks beautiful. It was nice to meet you at the Quilt Fest in Houston!
D~~~~

Sandi said...

Lovely piece, love the changes in value in your yellows and blues.

You did the best of a sticky situation.

Can't wait to see your stitched finished piece!

Wrightfemm said...

Love that pine cone block!