Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why the Big Plan Needs an Extra Me

Maybe you've heard about my Big Plan to show you a project from start to finish beginning Monday. The Plan is to give you instructions on how to make a little quilt and why certain design decisions are made.
Sounds like a great idea! Except for this fact:
You have to be organized to do this. It means thinking ahead and being prepared with fabrics, tools, and time. It also means taking photos as you go. Taking photos with one hand while holding a camera in the other.
Acrobatics with scissors.
Acrobatics with scissors is hard. But this is the really hard part:
You know how as you create art work, you lose track of time and go into the "zone"? When you are in the "zone" it's hard to remember to take photos and document the process of creating the art work.
What I need is 2 Laura's, one to make the art and one to take the photos.
Wish us luck!

13 comments:

Mommarock said...

Momma said don't run with scissors..she never said anything about not taking pictures with scissors. I think you will be okay. Just to be safe lay in a supply of bandaids!

creativedawn said...

Hi there...an extra you or a video camcorder ! Happy Thanksgiving!

hugz

Nancy said...

Well where's your lovely assistant when you need her? Resting up from her road trips? Looking forward to seeing the photos you remember to take!

KatieQ said...

I wish I lived close enough to offer my services to help you photograph the steps. Thanks for going the extra mile to prepare the tutorial. I'm really looking forward to it.

Rachel Parris said...

Really looking forward to your tutorial. May I ask what is covering your work surface? It looks shiny, but you are ironing on it.

Exuberant Color said...

I hear you about holding the camera with one hand and trying to show a process with the other hand. I just found a tripod of my dad's and I hope it will help for some of the shots.

Elaine said...

I am looking forward to this. Yes, you do need your assistant. Or a grandchild, or a neighbor??? I don't want you to forget to take pics. I'd come if I could. Then you could give me a quilt for pay.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Rachel,
That shiny covering on my work table is Teflon. I fuse right to it and then pull the quilt top off of it when it's cool. Works like a charm!
Laura

Sewconsult said...

I think you are doing quite well. Better than my fumble fingers of fate can do.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Monica said...

just add another personal assistant to your bucket list.

Diane J. Evans said...

If you DO figure out how to clone yourself, I have two requests:

1) Can the Other Laura relocate to upstate New York?

and

2) Can you teach me how to clone???

Diane

Lisa said...

Well if I lived close by I would hop on over and take those photos but I don't so perhaps there is someone else who could do that for you!

liniecat said...

lol nah, reckon it will all turn out just fine and with your own style of editing to boot!
Looking forward to seeing what occurs and I doubt any of us would be be marking you on achievements....we are all in awe as it is anyway!