Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why I'm Positive about the Negative

Have you seen the new American Quilter Magazine (January 2012 edition)? Next time you take a break from you crazy holiday shopping schedule, please check out Page 50.  My article, The Positive of the Negative, shows you how I went about making this simple little quilt above.
This quilt idea was a rare stroke of genius (sort of like a dim light bulb coming on).  Why not use a leaf die from Accuquilt to make both the positive leaf shapes and the negative leaf shapes for quilt designs?
Sprouts #2
It's such a thrill to discover the many uses of negative shapes like those in the border around Sprouts #2.  Using both the positive and negative cuts from a die cutter is now my favorite use of die cut fabrics!

I know I didn't invent it but, let's all pretend I did.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Got my issue yesterday and love it!! Very clever!

Gene Black said...

Yes, I got the magazine and yours was the first article I read!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Synchronicity! I don't have the die-cut machine, but have been playing with Notan. Your results are gorgeous!

WoolenSails said...

Great idea, never thought to use the cutter and dies as negative blocks.

Debbie

Darlee Byron said...

Oh, I think "Sprouts #2" is my most favorite of all your designs!! What a great notion... to turn negatives into positives!!

Andrea @ Sew Divertimento said...

I've always thought about doing something like this... I keep all my die cutting scraps! It's nice to see it in quilt form! Love your blog!!!

www.sewdivertimento.blogspot.com