Friday, December 30, 2011

Can You Cut This Fabric?

One of the phrases heard most often in my classroom is, "I can't cut into this hand-dyed fabric. It's too precious!"

Please, don't worry. We're always making more. Why deny yourself the pleasure of working with beautiful fabric?
But, alas, I am a hypocrite. There is a stack of hand-dyed fabric in my studio that is never on the market, is never touched and is never cut. It is too precious!
But today I did it! I pulled out my precious stack of fabric and sliced off sections for a new quilt. It was scary but it also energized me. Cutting the fabric released me from a cloth prison of my own making. It gave me the freedom to create something new with beautiful fabric.

Are you a fabric hoarder? Are you a prisoner of the cloth? Maybe it's time to give yourself permission to use your best and favorite fabric. They'll always make more!

9 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

I used to just collect batik fabric but realized one day awhile ago that if I didn't use it, my family would just give it away when I'm gone. I've enjoyed cutting it up ever since :)

Gene Black said...

I like Julie's thought on this. But I confess there is a bit of my fabric that I still hoard

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I started dyeing fabric earlier this year and it was a few months before I could cut into it. Once I made the first cut, it was no big deal!

Gayle from MI said...

I have to admit that cutting my hand dyes was the hardest part of the process. I think it was three years after I started dyeing that I actually cut some up for a quilt and only because a person I was doing a commission for said "Oh! you are using your hand dyes on my quilt" which I wasn't but thought that my own fabric would be so much nicer than what I had chosen. I never looked back and am now using my hand dyed fabric in whatever project there is.
Thank you so much for all of the tips, instruction and fun things you share every day. You are wonderful and I look forward to your blog every day.

Nancy said...

I like some of the projects for which you can use the piece as whole-cloth... adding surface stitching, etc. Then the fabric remains whole, but is enhanced a bit.

WoolenSails said...

Guilty, lol.
I have been collecting some hand dyes and batiks and I look at it a lot, think it is time I use it;)

Debbie

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

im like that with lace!
so great to find you on here. i am a professional textileartist from the uk! check out my current giveaway if you havebtime its one of my mixed media canvasses. jane xxx

Loralei said...

Oh, I am SUCH a fabric hoarder!! My way of deciding that it was okay to cut into it, was to take my 5 fave fabrics, and do a giveaway (this was earlier this year, and is long over).. After I gave some away, I felt free to start cutting for me!!

claudia becker said...

Yes, I think that's what they always do more, and more beautiful. Do not want to see my precious cloths of inheritance for those who do not know what to do with them. I love your blog, enriches me a lot, thank you and happy 2012 to you and your family.

Yes, I think that's what they always do more, and more beautiful. Do not want to see my precious cloths of inheritance for those who do not know what to do with them. I love your blog, enriches me a lot, thank you and happy 2012 to you and your family.