Thursday, December 29, 2011

Stitch-a-thon Day 4: A Fit of Decorative Bliss

As we bring our Stitch-a-thon Marathon to an end, our attention turns to the tablecloth. Stitching the edges of the tablecloth with a Blanket Stitch gives it a nice finish like the decorative edge on a real tablecloth. (And I'm about reality here.) The Tangerine colorway in the Size 8 thread lets me repeat the colors used in the leaves.
And speaking of repetition, the Degas Blue size 12 thread is used in a row of Cross Stitches across the tablecloth dots. Lends a rather festive air, don't you think? 
And as long as we are feeling festive, add French Knots to the dots. These dots on dots plus dots around the edge of the composition really decorate the piece nicely.
And here is the final quilt. With a little machine quilting around the edge it will be complete and ready for display.  Thanks for joining be in my Stitch-a-thon! We'll have more to see in the new year!

8 comments:

Janelle said...

This is really lovely. It is amazing how the stitching adds so much to the quilt. You can do this really fast. Maybe if I practiced more than just hemming I would get faster at hand stitching too.

Sequana said...

You have such a great eye for color and design. It's wonderful to watch you work.

Happy New Year!

WoolenSails said...

You inspired me to take out my wool applique pieces and start doing the stitching on them.

Debbie

Dianne said...

As always your posts are both entertaining and inspirational. Every time I read one I have the itch to stitch! Thanks Laura for a year of posts that never fail to make my day a little brighter! Wishing you all good things in 2012!

Donna said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your Stitch-a-thon Laura! The quilt looks fabulous! I really need to try my hand at hand stitching one of these days SOON.
D~~~~

soren2go said...

I've been following this project all along and I must say I LOVE IT. You have inspired me to the possibilities of scraps and embellishments. One of my resolutions for 2012 is to try your techniques. They are so fun and whimsical.

Stephanie Forsyth said...

I have to say, I absolutely love the palettes you use, so energy invoking!

Joelutyr said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your Stitch-a-thon Laura! The quilt looks fabulous! I really need to try my hand at hand stitching one of these days SOON. D~~~~