Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Using a Happy Accident


While cutting some flowers using the Kay's Bouquets die from Accuquilt, I made a happy accidental discovery.  If you place an already cut shape (like the flower shape above) back on the die, you can cut it again making even more shapes.Oh joy!

By placing the flower shape on the flower die just so, you can run it through the die cutter once more to make this shape. (Sort of looks like someone took a bite out of a blue cookie.)
Make a second cut from the big blue shape and you end up with 2 smaller shapes. My cookie shape is getting eaten away!
As I munch my way around the original flower shape a third time, cookies and a hot cup of tea are sounding really good.
After the fourth cut of the flower / cookie shape I take a much needed break and have a real, non-blue cookie.
This is how the smaller blue shapes are used in a current landscape quilt I'm working on. Do they resemble grape hyacinths to you? Or are you thinking of cookies too?

9 comments:

Jackie said...

Definitely grape hyacinths! Although, they also look like puffy cloud shapes. Very good accident!

Gene Black said...

Yes, indeed! Grape hyacinths it is

Sewconsult said...

Reminds me of Bob Ross' "happy little ...". His attitude was such that if it didn't look quite right, do more of the same. (My daughters grew up watching PBS!) I love your accidental flowers. Your lemonade is delicious.
Beckie

Clutterconqueror said...

Here was my response when I saw what you did: "OMG, she's so clever."

goecker said...

Maybe clouds, lilacs, wooly worms, hummm

saraz said...

grape hyacinths for sure

sophie said...

I also saw clouds before seeing them in context--they make great grape hyacinths. You are a clever woman.

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

COOKIES!!!! After all, cookie monster is blue.

Sonja Threadgill Nelson said...

I was thinking blue bonnets....thanks for the tip!