Sunday, January 08, 2012

Guest Artist: An Expert Quilter and Dancer Too!

Recently, I sent out this thread order to the famous Libby Lehman. You probably know her as an outstanding quilt maker who travels the world teaching machine quilting with unusual threads. She is an expert! But I know her as woman who will dance the polka at the drop of a hat.
Flying Colors by Libby Lehman
In this this wonderful quilt called Flying Colors, Libby uses my Size 3 hand-dyed threads couched to the surface. Couching is one of the many techniques Libby teaches in her classes along with how to work with those tricky threads that try to trick you.
Flying Colors (detail) by Libby Lehman
Libby and I have formed a mutual admiration society. I love her work and she loves my threads. We also enjoy a good polka once in a while! Ya, sure ya betcha!

7 comments:

MARIA CRISTINA said...

Hola Laura!!!
Es lógico que tengan admiración mutua, las dos son grandes artistas!!
Abrazos!!

Gene Black said...

Hmmmm. Thanks for the inspiration. I have a new idea for using some awesome "Laura threads" that I have.

WoolenSails said...

I would love to use your threads like that, I really need some lessons with my machine.

Debbie

Sewconsult said...

What a beautiful work of art with glorious threads! I only know Libby through the Quilt Show, but I can see her bubbly self doing a polka around the room, especially with Ricky playing.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

KatieQ said...

No wonder Libby loves your threads. The colors look so luscious they make me want to lick the screen (that sounded so much better when it was in my head).

Greenmare said...

That is gorgeous! well, I guess it's true, you can take the girl out of Minnesota but you can't take the Minnesota out of the girl. ya, you betcha.

juanita said...

Lovely work!
My threads came in the mail yesterday and they are just as beautiful as their photos on your blog. I have already used some (last night) to stitch veins on autumn leaves and I have ideas for some of the others too.
thanks
Juanita