Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How to Count when Fusing

One of the first steps in fusing fabric is to apply the glue to the fabric for 5-7 seconds with a hot, dry iron. Seems simple, right? But I have discovered that in different regions of the country, people count at a different pace. So 5 seconds in Alabama is not 5 seconds in New York City.

Therefore I have implemented the Chicago School of Fusing Method of Counting!
  1. First, pretend you are Lawrence Welk. You are conducting the orchestra in a polka. The beat goes: 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3. (Do NOT include the North Dakota "anda" between the numbers.)
  2. Count out loud. If you do this rhythm 4 times correctly, a total of 6 seconds will pass. 
  3. Now draw a straight line on the non-glue side of the fusible web. 
  4. Place the glue side onto the fabric.
  5. Place the hot (cotton setting) iron on the right side of the line.
  6. Begin the polka. Repeat after me: 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3.
  7. Glide the iron across the line so you end up with the line on the right side of the iron by your last 1,2,3. 
  8. There! Not only do you have the correct speed for fusing but you can dance as well.

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Very funny, I have to try that, maybe I will get it right;)

Debbie

Richard Healey said...

I can fuse but I cant dance. Loved this post though.

http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

Bev said...

Oh, what a chuckle I got reading this post! I learned how to polka as a child (a very young child)!

Your Creative Friends at the Calico House said...

Very helpful no matter how long you have been fusing for fun.

Mary said...

Very cute AND it will work, which is the best part. Thanks -

pat sloan said...

what a riot!!! The fusing polka!

Anonymous said...

Great fusing idea...also brought back memories of my Mom and me dancing the polka around the kitchen while listening to the polka show on the radio.