Tuesday, January 03, 2012

How to Tuesdays: Fixing a Lifeless Design

 
Have you ever made a quilt design that is just plain boring? Through the miracle of fuse-tacking I'd like to show you how to fix a lifeless quilt like this one above.
When constructing a fused art quilt, always use a technique called fuse-tacking.  Fuse-tacking is applying only 5 seconds of heat from the iron to a fabric element. (Too much heat for too long will kill the glue.) Aside from not burning the glue into the fabric, there is another benefit to fuse-tacking. Fuse-tacking gives you the option of removing fused elements and changing your design. Because they are not really fused fast into place, fabrics can be lifted off the surface.
To fix my lifeless design, I tried a little trick. By picking up the fuse-tacked grasses and stones in the design I was able to slip a bias cut tree trunk into the scene. With the tree in place there is now a sense of scale, a focal point, and my design is ready to stitch. I was able to change the design of the quilt all because of the technique of fuse-tacking. Now, don't you feel better?

10 comments:

Sequana said...

Ah Ha! :)

Gene Black said...

I will be happier if you stitch a few birds in the sky. :-)

susan said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could put a new focal point on ourselves and add a few stitches for interest?
Have a wonderful day!

Betteem said...

Good solution! I feel better. This scene was certainly on my mind. You helped my brain to possibly solve a design dilema. Thanks for the fusing tip. I would have thought 5 sec. would permanently fuse. I look forward to your next Tues. tip.

Donna said...

Words cannot convey the depth and breadth and heights of relief that my soul is enjoying now that you have added a focal point! Tee-hee! Kidding aside, it truly did make a big difference and I look forward to seeing the stitching you do on it.
D~~~~

Sherrie Spangler said...

I was sure you were going to add a house!I'm going to start using this technique.

WoolenSails said...

I tend to over iron, so need to learn not to do that.
I am always wishing I had done something differently and this way, I can lay it out and change things I don't like or add to it, easier.

Debbie

Sewz4fun said...

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but it still is screaming at me to add a focal point.... That tall arched tree you added seems to frame an empty space where "something" needs to go. Whew, I feel better now that I've got that off my chest. Denise. ;0)

kevin21 said...

sac a main chanel
tee shirts
bottes
sac5.com
sac louis vuitton
sac prada
chaussures5.com
chaussures louis vuitton
chaussures dunk sb
tee shirts.com
burberry pas cher
Tee shirts pas cher
sitemapproducts.xml
sitemapproducts.xml
sitemapproducts.xml
sitemapproducts.xml

ellen smith said...

Best ugg boots sale, like UGG Jimmy Choo very much, especially UGG Ultra 5245 Boots White.