Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Studio Tour Day 6: You Gotta Love Storage

Aren't these storage cabinets in my sewing room great? Not only are they bright and cheerful but the store all my threads for Artfabrik. Each drawer holds one colorway. And the colorways are in alphabetical order. Aren't you impressed with my organizational skills!
You can never have enough Rubbermaid boxes. These boxes just fit under the sewing table and are used over and over again for transporting fabric and thread to various vending venues. I've had them for years, they are older than some of my children.
Several years ago Mike, from Tracy's Tables, came to the house and measured the space for the sewing room. He then built custom cabinets for me to store my quilts. What a guy! Here are my quilts all rolled up and waiting to go to an exhibit somewhere.
Small quilts are stacked and put on these shelves in the sewing room. Not the best storage solution but at least they have a home! See the second shelf down? That's a box of fused fabrics just waiting to be used. All this talk about my workshop makes me what to make something!

Please return tomorrow for the final day of our studio tour.

13 comments:

Suztats said...

I've been enjoying the tour. Thanks.

Monica said...

Happy to see this is not one of those "Museum" studios where nothing is out of place and all is neatly stored.

Nancy said...

Those thread storage units are great! Sorted and alphabetized you say? Impressive.

WoolenSails said...

I love the colored bins, those are fun to store in and makes finding the right colors, a lot easier. I have a closet in my room that i want to make more efficient, it is a mess right now.

Debbie

Exuberant Color said...

I'm loving your tour!

Sequana said...

I have one of those very same storage cabinets with the colored drawers. They hold about a bazillion things!

I've had it ever since I began to really set up my craft studio - one of my very first eBay purchases, I think.

It's been a lot of fun looking around your place....Thx for the tour.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Laura, I have truly enjoyed the tour of your work spaces! Thank you for sharing!

Judy said...

It's great to have the opportunity to see someone else's work space.Love those colourful trays for storage.
Thanks for the tour.

Faith said...

I am greatly enjoying the tour... especially since I get to repurpose our garage into a studio for me late this spring (I hope). I had to smile at this, though: "they are older than some of my children," 'cause they seem to still have their Rubbermaid labels on them! I also wonder about the plastic on your quilts. I have always been told NOT to store quilts in plastic. Is it not really that important?

DeeDee said...

I have really enjoyed seeing your studio. Lots of ideas. I do have one question. I see your stored quilts are in plastic of some kind. What do you use for this?
Thanks, Sharon

Tonya said...

I love to see folks sewing rooms and how they store everything.....it's great

JessicaSews said...

How pretty! Love that corner of the studio!!

dotti said...

You are storing your quilts in "plastic bags"?