Wednesday, February 01, 2012

What To Do with Old Work

From the Botanica series, 2001

There is a stack of small quilts in my studio that does a good job of filling up a shelf. They are seldom seen by anyone including me. So why bother keeping them?
Abstract Shuffle, 2003
Are these quilts useless? Do they have a purpose? They are not pretty or especially good. But they do document my progression over the years and when I visit them occasionally, I see my history.
Chicken Dreams, 1997
These quilts are like my sketchbook. They represent a set of ideas, inspiration, and practice pieces that led to more quilts that are practice pieces. Each one taught me something and prepared me for the next piece of art work.

I may not remember where I was yesterday but when I look at that shelf of quilts, I know what I've been doing for the last 20 years.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

If you don't know where you have been it's more difficult to know where you are going. Keep them they are indeed your history - I look back at some of my work and think the same thing, but I like to use them as a reference picking and choosing from them for other projects. Reminds me of separating the seed from the chaff, but we all know that sewers will find something to do with the "chaff" as nothing really goes to waste.

Frannie said...

Wonderful post. Keep them for sure.
They "are" history. We learn from our past and grow.

WoolenSails said...

Some pieces I keep since they are special to me, but I tend to give mine away. I just love to make things and It is nice to surprise someone with a piece.

Debbie

Sewconsult said...

I think that they are beautiful, especially the top right one. It speaks to me! Ok, I have to admit it, most things with blue in it, speaks to me. I really want to break out of my blue love, but I always find comfort and peace with a blue. For lunch, I curled up on my sofa in our sunroom and wished for blue skies. The blue decor in the sunroom helps me hide the day's issues, even for a little while. My variety of plants with their emerging blooms makes me happy.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Locart said...

I think that we are our present but our past too, you are right and I am agree, beautiful work, before and now, and the future?... nobody knows...

Julie Bagamary said...

I like to give many of my older pieces away as gifts - they are new to the owner and love them.