Thursday, February 23, 2012

What's It Like to Teach on a Cruise Ship? There Be Whales!

Our Holland America cruise ship serves 10,000 meals a day.
I should know. I ate half of them.
The quilting cruise to Hawaii was wonderful! Not only was our ship surrounded by frolicking whales in Maui but the warm breezes and sun relaxed my winter weary bones. The quilting wasn't bad either!
Welcome to my onboard classroom! We are limited to 2 irons so the students are given pre-fused kits of hand-dyed fabrics. My classes do not require sewing machines, but there are 2 other classrooms filled with sewing machines for open sew and my fellow teachers, Rose Hughes, Barb Vlack, Silvia Pippen, and Rob Appell.

Carleen and her teapot quilt.
Six days of classes yielded many beautiful art quilts. Here you see Carleen with a teapot quilt she made in the Object Lesson class. She was so thrilled! It's good to see someone really enjoy making something they love.

I have a few more photos of the cruise to show you tomorrow. Until then, Aloha!

5 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Will we be seeing a whale quilt soon?!

Michelle said...

I had wondered if you had to take your own machine with you on a quilt cruise. I'd love to see more pictures!

WoolenSails said...

That is nice that you can kit them up, makes it easier and more portable.

Debbie

Jean said...

You are so lucky to be able to teach on this cruise! Would love to be able to go!

The Malta Observer said...

Aloha!

Nice pictures!