Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Can You Guess What I'm Making?


Progress for my immensely huge (32" x 78") quilt for the SAQA Seasonal Palette exhibit continues. Making a big quilt is a challenge for me now. It's cause I have such sort arms. (See this blog post to view the beginnings of the quilt.)

Can you guess what part of the quilt I'm making from the photo above? Don't worry, I'll tell you.

Using the Accuquilt Baby Go! fabric cutter, I picked a die with lots of pointy ovals. After cutting out a bunch of pointy ovals, the ovals are cut in half with a decorative rotary cutter blade (pinking).

Then I make flowers. The flower centers are free-cut from yellow fabric and the flower petals are assembled around the center. Each flower is fuse-tacked onto release paper, a great way to store them until applied to Spring quilt. It's like gardening without the soil and sun but just as much fun!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

This looks fun and time consuming, but if you love it the time is worth it.

WoolenSails said...

What a fun way to make flowers.

Debbie

BJ said...

Ooh! Thanks for this blog...I just bought a Go! I took your class a couple of years ago at the MAQF. I love the way you have used the cutter and combined it with a wavy blade to make the flower petals.

Faith said...

The flowers look good! Can't wait to see the finished piece. Your quilts are always so bright and cheerful!

Your using the rotary cutter with the wavy blade reminded me of a question I had. I'm considering a GoBaby, but I was wondering how useful it would be for making art quilts (not patterns). Do you use it enough? Are you able to adapt other cut pieces like you did with the flower petals? I guess 'useful' isn't what I mean as much as 'worth the cost' for someone who aspires to art quilts and will do few pattern quilts. Than you.