Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sorting Through the Scraps

Plowing through a field of color chips.
With little down time from travel, playing in the studio is a treat! My play begins with the sorting of the scraps. Fused fabric scraps are always saved after a project is completed. These bits of color trigger the next design. They are like starter dough, find one little shape that gives you a quilt idea and work off of it.
Colorful scraps sorted by shape or style.
Sorting through the color chips reveals several categories of fused scraps:
  • Fabrics already cut in a shape like leaves, flowers, and grass, 
  • Long skinny bias cut strips good for grass and stripe making,
  • Small swatches of color with no specific shape,
  • Fabric collages with patterning like stripes, checks, and dots,
  • And larger fabrics useful for backgrounds.
Ah! The positive of the negative!
And then there are all those negative shapes left over from using the Accuquilt Baby GO! dies. Oh, the potential there! It's fun to play in the studio!
The negative of a die cut dot fabric fused to a turquoise swatch.
And now please join me in singing the Sorting Through the Scraps Song (sung to the tune of Bringing in the Sheaves.)
Sorting through the scraps, 
Sorting through the scraps, 
We shall come rejoicing, 
Sorting through the scraps!

6 comments:

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

Dearest Laura!!! You totally crack me up!

WoolenSails said...

I am bad, I do not save those little pieces;)
I tend to save fabrics that are hard to find or thicker ones that I can use for small pieces that don't unravel, great for bird parts.

Debbie

Exuberant Color said...

I love sorting scraps too. What is the name of this disease??

Monica said...

Not really a quilter but I do get inspiration from sorting through fabric and most of mine are big scraps. I never seem able to get excited from my paper scraps in the same way.

shawn said...

I'm planning on doing this today!

Sewconsult said...

Dumping out the scraps,
Dumping out the scraps,
I would be rejoicing,
If I had your scraps.

Beckie in Brentwood, TN