Thursday, May 31, 2012

Are You a Sewer Fan?

Manhole cover by Pamela.
This is amazing! Pamela took my class last year and says she made the quilt above using my technique of Pattern Transfer to execute her fabulous design. Turns out Pamela is not only a quilt maker but is studying Japanese AND is a consultant working on sewer system infrastructure.

All three of her interests are covered in one book - Quilting with Manhole Covers (from Japan). After reading the book, an idea was born. And soon Pamela was commissioned to make a New Castle County manhole lid for a retiring engineer. (At the retirement party attendees could signed little sewer cover lids on the back of the quilt!) Her signature on the quilt reads "fabricated by Pam".
Some sewers stitch only during storms.
I'm sure the group of engineers really enjoyed art that they could relate to.  I, too, am a fan of sewers. Thanks Pamela for sharing your work with us!

9 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

I've read that book. Great art from real life.

Truffle queen said...

Wow - I'll have to go into town and check out the St. Charles sewer covers?! Guess I never noticed! lol What fun!!

patchouli moon studio said...

Funny how the word "sewer" as in manhole cover and "sewer" as one who sews has the same spelling. I thought at first you were asking if I liked sewers, as one who sews. I'm surprised you didn't make some sort of joke about this Laura, being the witty one you are.

Anonymous said...

I am proud to know Pam as a member of our arts guild, TAGG- the Artsy Girls Guild. Her piece is absolutely gorgeous and is even more so in person. It was the finest tribute that could have been given to this particular person as a retirement gift. Great work Pam, as always.
Susan

Jean said...

Interesting, I haven't seen these before.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Not to worry Patchouli Moon! The image of a sewer cover is always used in my lectures. I call it the Tomb of the Unknown Sewer (as in stitcher)!

WoolenSails said...

I love how it is a play on words and they really are nice designs, who would have thought, Pam did;)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I too have interesting pix of water/sewer covers from travels I've taken. Never thought of doing a quilt of them....might just do it!

Kristeena Crabb said...

Aw, I'm so delighted to see this article about Pam. She's a fantastic friend as well as a fabulous sewer (not to be confused with sewer)!