Saturday, May 05, 2012

Felt Along Day 1: It Begins with a Moon

Felt and thread chosen for the famous Felt Along.
In an attempt to conquer a huge stack of colorful felt (that has been mocking me for years!) I have decided to begin a felt project. Today is Day 1 of my Felt Along and I hope you'll join me. Be brave my fellow Felt Alongers. It is a good day to Felt Along.

Step #1: Start with an idea for your Felt Along design. For this design I began by free-cutting a little bird. The little bird looks like a crescent moon shape with one tip of the moon rounded for the head (the beak is added later). This attractive bird measures about 4" w x 3" h.

Step #2 Free-cut a background piece of felt measuring about 5" x 5" with a loopy edge. You could use a decorative blade in a rotary cutter to cut the square too. But when you act on a whim you don't always have a rotary cutter handy.

Step #3: Tack the bird onto the background fabric with long stitches to hold it into place. This will stabilize your bird and anchor him for hand embroidery.

Step #4: Free-cut a wing for the bird. The wing is sort of tear-drop shaped and measures about 2" w x 2.5" h. Not sure why I chose this color.


Step #5: Trim the top right side of the wing into 3 feathery points so the bird can get off the ground. We now have a bird in flight.

Please return tomorrow for more of the Felt Along where we discuss bird anatomy and why I don't know it.

9 comments:

Doreen said...

You are absolutely too funny!! May try to join you on this one as I just finished up a quilt project! Love your creativity and colorful adventures!!

shawn said...

Looks cute already! Are you using wool felt?

WoolenSails said...

A lot of times I cut free form, that way each one is a little different, so makes it fun.

Debbie

Margaret said...

I am relieved. When you wrote 'felt-along' I had visions of needle-felting or wet-felting or knitting ginormous objects and shrinking them in a washing machine of hot, hot water -- none of which I enjoy. But I do have ready-made wool felt and sharp scissors and lots of embroidery floss, so I just might try to make time for a small felty thing this rainy weekend. Thanks!

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Shawn,
I'm using acrylic and wool felt. I think. It's bee so long since I purchased the felt I don't remember what the fiber content is!

Beth said...

Going to find my felt and some floss. I am not sure mine will look like a bird, but I will give it a shot.

Mosaic Magpie said...

You have made cutting out a freehand bird, easy! Thank you for the tip on the moon shape.
Deb

Faith said...

I may have to dig out some felt and try this. You are a ray of sunlight (even though it's nearly midnight here) and always manage to make me laugh and/or smile.

lin741852 said...

burberry bolsas
chanel bolsas
chloe bolsas
sac louis vuitton 2012
louis vuitton soldes
sac louis vuitton soldes
sac louis vuitton
porte cles louis vuitton
boucle chanel
dior bolsas
sac dolce gabbana
sac guess 2012
sac gucci
tee shirts armani hommes
tee shirts burberry femmes
tee shirts chanel femmes
sac guess
dolce gabbana bolsas
burberry tasche
chanel tasche
fendi bolsas
Christian Louboutin Soldes
Christian Louboutin 2012
chaussures Christian Louboutin
gucci bolsas
guess bolsas
dior tasche
sac a main
lunettes de soleil
chaussures louis vuitton
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton