Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How to Dress for Dyeing

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to talk to you about how to dress for dyeing. Like any profession, the fabric dyer has a uniform. You'll need a mask (above) so you don't inhale any dye particles flying around the dye studio. Get something attractive so you don't scare the children.
Smart dyers wear the standard black shirt and black trousers so no matter what color you spill on yourself, nothing shows. And then there are those of us who appreciate a really old sweat shirt for a dye uniform. An apron is a good idea too.
Rubber gloves are a must. For some reason, I often spring a leak in the right hand glove. This means I have to wear a left handed glove on my right hand. It is very uncomfortable.
Wear comfortable shoes. You will be standing for hours in one spot as dyeing can be mesmerizing and you forget that you are standing around in one spot.

And one last piece of advice. Never answer the door in your dye clothes. You may scare the children.

4 comments:

Doreen said...

OK, Laura. Yours was the first post that popped up on my 'puter this morning and, believe me, that picture is an attention grabber......I am FULLY awake now and prepared for anything!!!!!!!!!! Seriously though, I don't think the use of a mask can be stressed enough.....and a GOOD mask, not some 'dime store' variety. Thanks for the reminder. Have provided this link to a friend who does tons of dyeing (dressed properly).

patchouli moon studio said...

Laura, when you breathe with that mask on do you sound like Darth Vader? You look like you could be a relative don't ya know. I love the eyes! Ha!

WoolenSails said...

You are so funny, love the dye look, lol.

Debbie

Robin in WNC said...

Laura what a fun way to remind us that wearing a mask while dyeing is a must. Also love your uniform, mine looks very much like yours.