Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to Manage Those Glorious Thread Skeins for Hand Stitching

Laura and Frieda with thread extensions.
That pile of hand-dyed thread skeins you own are beautiful to look at and can make great fashion accessories. But for those of you who actually want to hand stitch with them I have a few tips on how to manage those glorious thread skeins.
1. Skeins of thread from Artfabrik arrive at your house in a pretty twist. If you want to see the color sequence and spacing, just slide the end loop out of the other end loop. Most threads gradate or change colors every 2 - 3 inches.
2. The information tag is attached to the ends of the thread. It tells you size, colorway, and my information.
3. To return the thread to it's pretty twist, stick a fore finger into each end loop of the skein. Twist the skein with one finger until the twist is tight. Then slip the end loop into the other end loop. The skein will twist back on itself.
4. To store the thread and make it easy for hand stitching, you'll need a metal ring or smooth bracelet. Open the skein and place an end loop into the center of the metal ring. Then pull the other thread loop through the first loop to secure it around the ring.
5. Now comes the scary part. If you intend to actually hand stitch with this thread, you have to cut it. Cut the skein in half at the far loop. This way the thread is the right length for stitching and won't get tangled.
6. To remove a strand of thread for stitching, gently pull a strand from the center of the skein where it wraps around the ring. Pull the thread slowly and it won't tangle.
7. Now get out there a do some stitching!

11 comments:

patchouli moon studio said...

I love the new look "thread extentions"! It's colorful, fashionable and in a pinch you can snip off a piece when you feel the creative urge to add some embroidery to something. I think you may have just started a new trend Laura!

Sequana said...

I would definitely need a real life demo for all this. Otherwise, I can just see me all rolled up like a cocoon in beautiful thread.

Doreen said...

Great idea and so logical! Getting "wrapped up in your work" has a new meaning!!!

Deb said...

Thanks for the great idea in storing and preparing the thread for stitching. I think you and Frieda should always wear your hair that way!

WoolenSails said...

I have a bad habit of using threads and putting them in a box till I have a big nest, lol. I don't do that with my good threads though. I use the nest when I need a piece of something, just snip off a piece.

Debbie

lewmew said...

I've been following for a while now on Google reader - and somehow MISSED you had a store that SELLS THREAD!!!! I am a thread junkie and am salivting and plotting my purchases.....

Julie Bagamary said...

I usually braid mine but I like this better. Thanks.

kathy york said...

This is not what my thread stash looks like...sadly a tangled mess. Wish I had done this from the beginning, but will try it with the new skeins. Thanks for the photo tips!!!

HollyM said...

I found this through Kathy York's blog. What a great idea! Now, I must look for a ring.

Rachel Parris said...

OK, This is scary stuff...the cutting part.

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Hey! Very clever! I do love the colorful dreadlocks the two of you are sporting. You wear them well, girls.