Saturday, May 19, 2012

Reading on the road

Blue Chair, in the Library, with a Candlestick by Laura Wasilowski
Usually there is a mystery novel tucked into my travel bag as I board an airliner. But the last time my travel companion was Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World by Natalie Goldberg.
An interior scene by Alice
My friend Alice reminded me of this book. Alice is learning to paint and created this charming fused quilt design from one of her paintings while in my class at Quilting Adventures. Her copy of  Natalie's book inspired me to track down my own copy, forgotten high on a bookshelf in my dye studio.
Blue Book on Blue Chairs by Laura Wasilowski
In chapter 1, Natalie describes how she paints. First, she must have a connection with what she is painting, an affection for the object, a tie, a friendship. This struck a cord. It describes my relationship to my blue chair perfectly. It's like an old friend, comfortable, content, and cheerful.

I can hardly wait to read the next chapter of Natalie's journey, see more of Alice's whimsical work, and make friends with more chairs.

1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

I usually read at night to put myself to sleep, lol.
I do have an iPad, so it is nice to be able to download books to read when I am on trips.

Debbie