Saturday, June 09, 2012

Did You Know That Abutment is Your Friend?



As Dean of Corrections at the Chicago School of Fusing I feel it's important to tell you, "Don't do this!" When adding another piece of fusible web to fabric, don't overlap the fusible web papers like what I've done above. This is a no no!


Instead, do this. Abut the 2 edges of the fusible web paper. This way when you fuse, you don't get glue on the paper underneath. The paper that comes with the fusible web is so useful. If you overlap the papers, you glue on the paper. Your iron picks up the glue on the paper and then transfers the glue to your beautiful quilt top.



Don't do this either.

Abutment is your friend. Protect your quilts from filthy irons. Don't tempt them with glue on the paper.

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

Thanks for the warning. I was tending toward overlapping.

MARIA CRISTINA said...

Gracias!
Es siempre un placer leer sus sugerencias!
Abrazos!

The Invisible Woman said...

You're killing me - I was trying to steal away a quiet moment at my computer while everyone's still asleep, and instead I was cackling at your wonderful ironing hints! Too funny! Thanks for guaranteeing a fun day for me each time I read your posts.

: )

Janelle said...

I have glue on my ironing board, so I have to protect everything that I iron. I think that it is time to get a new cover.

Doreen said...

Yes, regrettably, I learned this lesson by first hand (ugly) experience. I have, also, found that it is highly recommended (by me!) to "abut" very closely leaving no gap..this little "trench" may become a seismic mountain range on the right side after the project is completed and, possibly, laundered and some of that wonderful shrinkage occurs. I make sure that the "abutment" area is near the edges of the fused motif rather than (horrors!!) through the center.....just in case..... Happy fusing!!!!

Laura Wasilowski said...

Thanks for the tip Doreen! Excellent advice. Avoid the trench!

WoolenSails said...

Very good advice and something I never thought about.
I usually keep the small pieces and save them for little things and get a new piece for something large.

Debbie