Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How to Clean a Dirty Iron

Do you find gunk on your pristine fabric after you press it with your iron? Do you have a filthy iron that is leaving marks on your quilt top?

 Do not fret. Here's a simple way to clean that disgusting iron.
  • Place an unused dryer sheet into the fold of a square of fabric.
  • Put the fabric square on the edge of the ironing board.
  • Scrap the hot iron across the fabric removing the dirt.
  • Repeat until the iron is clean and you have stopped fretting.
A word of caution. Do not do this with a smoke detector overhead. The juice in the dryer sheet tends to smoke. This smoke may trigger the smoke detector and the fire department will arrive. (Ask me how I know.) 

A second word of caution. If your iron has baked on crude you may never get it clean. I suggest throwing it away or at least giving it a decent burial.

15 comments:

Gene Black said...

Arrggh.......I can't believe you used hand dyed fabric to clean the iron!

Julie Bagamary said...

The edge is a great idea. Does this work for Teflon ones too?

Nancy said...

I use very fine steel wool, and it usually works.

Linda said...

Thank you for this trick. I am really needing it right now! I I keep my iron on the "scorch" setting and use a LOT of spray starch.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Yes, Julie. It works on all irons including Teflon coated ones.

Marybeth said...

I want to hear the story of how you know this...about the smoke detector and all!!

Bev said...

I've used the dryer sheets but didn't put them inside fabric. Yikes,I hope that doesn't damage my iron...

Thanks for the tip!

Cheery wave from
Bev
http://44thstreetfabric.blogspot.com

Laura Wasilowski said...

Well Marybeth here is the story about the dreaded smoke detector.
It's a sad story. I was teaching at a quilt show out east and the room had very low ceilings. So when we cleaned the irons the smoke from the dryer sheet triggered the fire alarm. The fire fighters arrived and I was very mortified. Haven't been invited back!

Stacy Hurt said...

I have also used "Iron Off' with great results. You can get it at Joann's or any notions store.

Cornwoman said...

I have a teflon ironing board cover, and when my iron gets dirty, I do just that trick...only without the fabric softener or the piece of fabric. lol It comes off onto the edge of the teflon board cover generally.

textilefiend said...

Sorry to be ignorant, but as I am in Australia, what is a dryer sheet?

Mosaic Magpie said...

I had to laugh, you typed scrap the iron and baked on crude...so right if there is baked on crude/scrap the iron!!!
I have never tried a dryer sheet!
Thanks for tip and laugh.
Deb

Beth said...

So happy to get this tip as I have had to bury many irons. Hopefully fewer now, because I did swear not to work on fusible without protection. LOL

Barbara said...

I never ever doubted that you are a genius, Miss Laura, but this totally confirms it.

Thanks for saving my iron !

Quilting Corner said...

I tried your idea and my iron looks great. Thanks for the tip.