Monday, July 30, 2012

Bird Stitchery #6: Stitching in a Forest

If a tree is stitched in the forest, does it make a sound? I don't know. But I do know that these tiny trees on the horizon of our bird quilt desperately need stitching. First a quick Straight Stitch  with a size 12 Aquamarine pearl cotton thread across the tree trunks livens up our design.
Now we outline the conifers with a Running Stitch in an orange size 12 to lift them off the background. Then add French Knots down the left side for that whimsical look so necessary for a tilting tree.
At last our small forest is stitched. Funny, these are exact replicas of the pine trees in my back yard! Stay tuned tomorrow and I'll show you the sunrise at my house.

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

I love the way a little hand stitching makes a huge pop in the design.

Beth said...

I agree with Gene. Personally, I want to see the trees in your backyard....the ones with stitched trunks and french knots along the branches. ;)

Cornwoman said...

Every time that I think it can't get cuter...it does! I'm looking forward to that picture of the trees in your backyard too.

Mary Ellen said...

Laura, you are too funn. Fun stitching, but your running dialogue is too much!

Laura Lea said...

I would never have thought of using that diagonal stitch on the tree trunks, so this was my inspiration for today. I love how you use french knots in so many different ways to enhance your art. Thanks for the early morning humor too! I just saw the sun too and am awaiting the earth's stitchery treatment.