Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Quick Tour of Copenhagen




This is not the little mermaid.

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to introduce you to the lovely city of Copenhagen.



St. Alban's Angelican Church on the way to town.

We were fortunate that our cruise ship docked really close to the city center. A short stroll up the beach led us directly the wonderful sites of Copenhagen. This beautiful capital city of Denmark has a rich history and amazing views around every corner.



The hats are nice, but look at that tile work!

We quickly found the Amalienborg Palace, the winter home of the Danish royal family. Apparently they were out shopping. 



And indeed the shopping did look like fun. However, I had spent all my rubles, kroners, and euros on socks at previous venues


So I had to go back to the docks. A maritime culture sure has a lot of boats. The canals and harbor were full of sailing ships, tour ships, commercial vessels, and of course tourist boats. It was very colorful and full of life.



Here is the little little mermaid looking forlorn.

I admit we saw very little of Copenhagen. So much of our time was spent gazing at beautiful motifs on buildings, watching the pretty people on the street (it was Fashion Week), and enjoying the harbor views that we covered little ground. But the city is wonderful. Just that little taste made we want to return for more.

4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I think this is my favorite place so far, wonderful art and beautiful seaport.

Debbie

eily62 said...

My sister has a summer home in Denmark. Great place to live. Wonderful people and lifestyle!

Beth said...

Great pictures.
My computer has been out of order, now that it is working I need to back track to see your other posts.
Looks like great fun.

Hitchhiker42 said...

Copenhagen looks like a beautiful city. That first picture is pretty funny, though. Could you imagine if every Starbucks had a statue like that out front? haha