Saturday, August 25, 2012

Design Museum in Helsinki
 The early arrival of our cruise ship in Helsinki gave the quilters plenty of time to be the first visitors to the Design Museum. From fabric to forks, the history of Finish design was on display in their permanent collection. It was well worth the visit.

The window shopping in Helsinki is terrific! We were able to visit this design store and several others after our tour of the museum including one owned by local crafts people.
Marimekko.....swoon!
And of course here is the real reason I made the cruise boat stop in Helsinki.....the Marimekko Store! All things Marimekko greated us at the door. I was so mesmerized by the clothes, linens, and fabrics that I all I could manage to buy was.....a pair of socks.

One can not have too many pairs of socks.
Then it was off to the open air market at the end of esplanade in the South Harbor for some lunch (I passed on the reindeer meat.). All in all Helsinki was a welcoming city, clean, easy to navigate, and packed full of wonderful design shops. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Just wanted to pop in and tell you that I'm loving your tour. I'll never see these places in person and it's nice to see them from a quilting artists' perspective. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Jennifer said...

So fun to see pictures from one of my favorite cities! Love Helsinki, Marimekko, and the open air market!

Gene Black said...

I, too, am loving the tour!

OPQuilt said...

Count me in as another lurker, jealous and yet enthralled with your posts. Thanks for posting!

Judy Coates Perez said...

What a fabulous trip! We need to get together soon. You have the busiest schedule so you should pick a time when you're free, I'm around except sept 19-22.

Hannele said...

OMG - you were in Helsinki?!!! Had I known that, I would have come to the harbor to meet you. But I've been on vacation and therefore not following the blogs I usually read on daily basis...