Friday, August 31, 2012

How to Garden Aboard Ship

Fuse a wonderful blue dot measuring 1 1/2" to a background fabric.
You may ask did I do anything on this wonderful Baltic cruise other than eat a lot and buy a lot of socks?
Place 8 straight stitches around the dot with Lazy Daisy stitches for leaves.
Why, yes. I did! I gave myself this assignment during the cruise: add hand embroidery to a small quilt top.
Finish the edge of the circle with an Outline Stitch.
It was so hard to concentrate! (I kept getting distracted by desserts on the Lido deck.)
Use a variation of the Sheaf Stitch to make flower petals.
But slowly my little quilt top was complete by the time we arrived back in the States. Good thing too!
Add French Knots to the flower petals using the wonderful Aquamarine colorway in Size 12.
This quilt was needed for my filming of 2 episodes of Quilting Arts TV with Pokey Bolton. Soon after my return from the cruise, Frieda Anderson and I raced off to Ohio for the shoot. ("Shoot" is a Hollywood term for making a movie. The Hollywood term for me is "the Talent".)
Final version of a small area of the quilt made by "the Talent".
Can you guess what the final quilt looks like? I'll give you a hint: I don't traditionally make this type of quilt.

5 comments:

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 4 post on Aug. 31, 2012. Thanks again.

Beth said...

I don't know where your little beauty will end up, but it sure is pretty. I love seeing hope you embellish to create amazing works of art.

WoolenSails said...

I love how you use stitches to create something new and unique.

Debbie

Cornwoman said...

What fun! Hmmm....you gave us a small mystery to guess at...and I think that I'll guess a Nine Patch with a Talent touch!

Bakeropdj said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations , under the Page 4 post on Aug. 31, 2012. Thanks again.