Thursday, August 23, 2012

Inside is a Wonder

Visiting the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood.
The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, Russia is extraordinary on the outside. But the interior is even more amazing. We had no idea of what we would find when we entered the church. It is stunning!
Each image is created with tiny bits of glass mosaic.
Every inch of every wall  is covered in mosaics. Tiny bits of glass held by mortar combine to depict images of saints and sinners.
 Unlike paintings, the rich color of  the mosaic tiles have held up over the years. In fact, mosaics are the art medium of choice in the conditions of St. Petersburg's environment.
As I gaped over the elaborate borders framing each biblical story, I had to admit, travel is an education.  This quilt seminar at sea opened new worlds to me. What a wonderful opportunity!

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Wow that place is lovely.

I agree that travel is an education. I was never interested in history until I travelled. then before I went I started planning what I wanted to see...and in the process learned a LOT. When I got home, I did more research on the things I actually did see. (somehow I got sidetracked from my list.)

Willa said...

I really enjoy these photos and words from Russia. I went with a group of watercolor painters over 20 years ago. Although we made many wonder filled trips, Russia remained the most significant for me.

It is an amazing place with astounding sites to be seen.

Thanks for sharing!
Willa

Margaret said...

Wow indeed! And such inspiration for stitchers!

Cornwoman said...

From the time I was a little girl (about 4 yrs old), I loved history...the more ancient, the more I loved it. My DH loves it as well, and one of our dreams is to visit Europe so that we can see the kinds of things that you've been sharing with us here. The only problem with going is that we might "forget" to come back! Thank you for sharing with us....