Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Textures of Tallinn

Typical street in Tallinn, Estonia
A day in the medieval city of Tallinn, Estonia is a day of discovering new sites and textures. As our group from the cruise soon found out, we were not in the good old mid-western US anymore.
City gate in Tallinn
Here are a few views from Tallinn taken while on our cruise stop of 10 hours. Not nearly enough time to enjoy everything we saw. But time enough to find out that the people of Tallinn are friendly, the streets charming, and the foods not bad either!
A lucky find. And exhibit by book illustrator, Maara Vindi.
Just by chance, we came across a terrific exhibit at the Estonian Children's Literature Centre. The illustrations by Maara Vindi for children's books were wonderful! And although I do not speak Estonian, a book full of images created by other Estonian illustrators found its way home with me.
Artwork by Katrin Pere, Tallinn, Estonia
There were several craft stores that we toured in Tallinn. One had the work of Katrin Pere. She makes beautiful textile pieces with big stitches and lots of color. (This piece measures about 45" x 45".) The number of wool socks for sale was a little overwhelming for me as I am a sucker for hand knit wool socks. But I managed to leave Estonia with only one pair.

Please stay tuned for more cruise pictures tomorrow!

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

What? You only bought one pair of socks????

Laura Wasilowski said...

Ok. I bought a lot of socks. My sock drawer runneth over!

liniecat said...

Times like that I wish had more feet!!

Cornwoman said...

lol When you said that you only left Estonia with one pair of hand knit wool socks, you actually meant that there was only one pair left in Estonia! You are going to have some toasty feet this winter...

ilona lisiecka said...

Hi
I see now you travel :)
I like your blog, pleasant to read your post. I'll be watch your blog :)
I greet Ilona of Poland

adailydoseoffiber said...

Isn't that a great cruise? My husband and I did that one several summers ago. There was a quilting tour on it too with Jane Sassaman and Alex Anderson. I said hello to Elly Sienkevitz in the bathroom at Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg! I'm enjoying your photos.

Antonija said...

How wonderful! If we ever get together--I can attempt to translate that book for you. Both I and my Hubs have lots of relatives in Tallinn, though most of mine are on Saaremaa. Nice to see you enjoyed the Homeland! LOL...