Saturday, September 15, 2012

Art Institute and a Winner



From the Art Institute's current exhibit in the Textile Department.
For those of you in the Chicago area, be sure to check out the Fabric of a New Nation exhibit at the Art Institute. They have textiles ranging from 1776-1840 including some great examples of hand embroidery. Don't you wonder about the people who made this work? I wonder if they had as much fun as I do while stitching. And did they stitch while watching TV? I wonder.

And don't you wonder what Annie will do with her bag of fused fabric scraps? I know I do. Congratulations Annie on winning a bag of wonderful scraps. Let us know what you do with them!

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

Congrats to Annie. I hope she comes back as a guest artist!

Julie Bagamary said...

OOOOO I missed signing up for the the give away again....argh!
Congrats Annie.

Annie said...

What?!!! THIS Annie? Me? OMG...how lucky am I! I just LOVED Ellen's Pinkie Cat! Oh, I can't wait to see what's in the bag...and I don't even have to do the fusing...just PLAY! Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Well....a cat is ok...but I want to win to give equal time to doggies :)
Vickie.van@hotmail.com

Cornwoman said...

Congratulations to Annie! I, however, am so sad that I didn't win that wonderful goody because I had visions of Laura's creativity flowing from the scraps into my fingers through osmosis. lol

Every time that I do hand work, whether it's embroidery, hand piecing, hand appliqué and hand quilting, I **DO** wonder what someone in the 1700's to late 1800's was thinking. However I don't think that they were watching tv....I think that they were rocking out to Beethoven, Vivaldi and the other composers on their iPods! lol Just kidding, of course, though I always do feel connected and at peace.

Laura Wasilowski said...

You mean they had IPods back then too? Wow, what I don't know about history could fill a book!
Thanks for stopping by!
Laura

Beth said...

Congrats Annie!!! I do wonder if some of Laura's creativity imprinted on those scraps. Hmmm
Can you imagine doing lovely stitching like like by candle, or lantern?

Aliceart said...

Lucky Annie - have great fun!