Sunday, September 23, 2012

What One Small Seed Can Do

This is an accidental watermelon. What makes this accidental you ask? Over a year ago there was a watermelon spitting contest in our backyard. (It wasn't pretty, but it was fun.) And a year later, a huge watermelon plant grew in the garden. This precious watermelon is the only descendant of that original seed.

You could even say it was the spitting image of the original seed.
The Optimist by Laura Wasilowski
All summer long as the watermelon grew I protected it from furry creatures, disgusting bugs, and over zealous watermelon pickers.
The Optimist (detail) by Laura Wasilowski
But today I have picked the watermelon and it is delicious! The moral of the story? Spitting can lead to some wonderful things. (Or something profound like that.)

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

More importantly, did you win the contest?

liniecat said...

Spitting Image LOL love that!

Aliceart said...

Hmmm, maybe I should be spitting in the sewing room...

Laura Wasilowski said...

Oh, dear Aliceart, t's a good idea but a little messy. Although it may be worth a try!
And no, I did not win the watermelon seed spitting contest last year but did request a re-match this year....and lost again!

Janelle said...

I enjoy your sense of humor. Maybe I should join my boys next time they have a watermelon spitting contest.

WoolenSails said...

It is funny how that happens, we get that with pumpkins that we throw out in back. This year a stalk of corn started growing next to the garden, I assume it was a fly by from the bird feeder.

Debbie

Cornwoman said...

So THAT's what I've been doing wrong when I've planted things out in my garden!! I should have known that planting them would be more fun than how I was doing it! lol

I'd give it a try, but the jackrabbits and squirrels would just eat them when they come up...like the oranges on my little tree. They drive my kitty to distraction by eating them on the patio in front of the arcadia/glass door so that she can watch them.

Beth said...

Spitting, spitting image...LOL
Great story. we had a garden one year and DD wanted to plant watermelon and cantaloupe. I told her we didn't have enough room but she was persistant and I planted them. In very hard ground at the edge of the garden. The watermelon never showed up but the cantaloupe did. When we cut them open they looked like watermelon inside. Very strange.