Monday, October 08, 2012

A Dangerous Profession, That Quiltmaking


We use a lot of colorful threads in the Stitch after Fusing class.
Stitch demonstration is always risky. My Stitch after Fusing class at the AQS show in Des Moines is over and I am happy to report no one stabbed themselves with a needle. As I demo stitches I risk tangling the thread, stitching things to my clothing, and of course swearing in front of the students when I jab the needle into my finger. It's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.


My students made wonderful art in each class in Des Moines. It's good to see them work so confidently and create beautiful pieces at the same time. Now that I'm back home I'll begin another round of dyeing for the Houston show. It's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it!

6 comments:

Gene Black said...

Stitching things to your clothing??? Really? Then I am in good company. I was working on a piece while on my lunch break at work and stitched it to my pants. Luckily both my pants AND the art piece survived along with most of my dignity.

WoolenSails said...

I stick my fingers, my legs and sew through my clothes, I am a lost cause, lol.

Debbie

carol said...

Nothin' like leaving your DNA all over your work!! lol (Ask how I know that???)

Cornwoman said...

lol I have several pieces of clothing that tried to give their lives for my quilting, so I can identify. Hand stitching IS dangerous....and worth every moment and every sacrifice. TIP: If it's only a dot of blood, and not a river, most of the time it will come out if you use a bit of saliva on your finger and rub gently. Sounds gross, but it works.

Beth said...

We are so luck that you are willing to risk finger and pants to bring us your art. :)
If I didn't stick my self on a given day, I wasn't hand sewing.

Faith said...

Wow! You mean I'm not the only one who accidentally stitches to clothing?!!!