Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Be Brave. Chop It Up!

Weezie's Wildflowers #19 (detail) by Laura Wasilowski
Creating  new art quilt designs means taking a chance. It's risky business. You free-cut into fabric without patterns, templates, or an idea in your head. You are living dangerously!  Will you mess up? Waste fabric? Waste your time? Or in my case, make something regrettable.
Weezie's Wildflowers #19 by Laura Wasilowski

This experiment in design, part of the Weezie's Wildflowers series, took place several years ago. It sat on a shelf. The quilt was never finished until yesterday.
Plain Sunflowers pattern by Laura Wasilowski
But this first flower design led to many other quilts and even inspired a pattern, Plaid Sunflowers. You have to be brave to make art. Live dangerously. Cut into some fabric today!

4 comments:

Cornwoman said...

Can I close my eyes while I'm cutting?? That way I can't see if I'm screwing up my fabrics?? lol

WoolenSails said...

I like the idea of free form cutting, sometimes we end up with a wonderful piece and if not, it makes a good cat bed, lol.

Debbie

Beth said...

Can you be cautiously free? I am going to fuse big pieces of fabric and play. Soon as I get my 'homework' done.

Barbara Ellis said...

It feels great to feature much revealing and unequalled articles on your websites.
www.dealsextra.com.au/daily-deals