Saturday, October 20, 2012

Positive about the Negative


The negative before stitching.
This is the positive of the negative. Negative shapes like this great set of light green dots are cut using a dot die from AccuQuilt. After cutting out the 3/4" dots from fused silk fabrics I saved the negative or fabric surrounding the dots. I'm a big fan of the negative.
Stitching the negative.
And that's how my entry for the International Quilt Festival in Houston came about. The quilt design was triggered by those negative dot shapes. Tomorrow I'll show you the whole quilt. But for now, lets just admire the negative.

5 comments:

Maggie Szafranski said...

How cool!!! Can't wait to see it in person!

Gene Black said...

It is fun to find designs using the leftover negative shapes.

quiltchick said...

That negative space would make great lily pads. Wish I had some. Really want that accu quilt machine.

Cornwoman said...

I love the negative spaces on that quilt, and what you've done with them. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. It also reminds me that perhaps I need to get some dies that are fun for my Vagabond. (Most dies, no matter the brand, will work in my Vagabond, thankfully.)

Beth said...

I want to see the rest. :)