Saturday, November 10, 2012

Seasonal Palette Quilt #12: Moody Grass

A lurking grassy area.
It was a lucky find. This length of hand-dyed fabric found lurking in my studio became the background for the grassy area in my Seasonal Palette quilt. I love the texture and color variation.
Cut the leaves of grass on the bias.
The blades of grass are cut on the bias in a tapered shape. A variety of greens from light and bright to deep and moody are needed to make it all interesting.
One by one the blades of grass are fused onto the green background. It is built on release paper before adding it to the lower edge of the water.
Don't do this!
Fusing down blades of grass takes forever! It takes so long, my hair turned grey during the process and I grew an extra foot. (Just checking to see if you're still there.)

8 comments:

Maggie Szafranski said...

Hopefully the extra foot grown was in length and not a third lower appendage!

Janelle said...

I love the way this quilt is developing. Thank you for sharing your progress.

crazylegs said...

I have an iron just like that one!

Ruth Quinn said...

HI Laura,
I follow your blog daily. I am wondering why I am having trouble with my Wonder Under.
I fused it as you said and even steamed it as you mentioned. But when I am doing the embroidery stitchng, the fabric comes off the background fabric.
Is it because it is too old-the Wonder Under stuff?

Ruth

WoolenSails said...

Perfect fabric for the grass, really like how it looks.

Debbie

annieQ said...

So sorry to hear about your extra foot!

Cornwoman said...

I love the grass! There's a surgery that can take care of that extra foot. Hopefully it's not in an embarrassing place, like your knee or elbow.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Ruth,
I don't think the Wonder Under is too old. But what may have happened is you over heated the glue and burned the glue into the fabric so it no long sticks into place. Or, if you lift up the fabric and still see the glue on the fabric, you didn't steam it long enough.
Hope that helps.
Laura