Sunday, November 04, 2012

Seasonal Palette Quilt #6: The Sketch

Initial sketches for my Seasonal Palette quilt.
I haven't made a large quilt in a long time. Most of my current art is small (around 20" x 20" max) and improvised. Working large (32" wide by 78" high) and withing the Seasonal Palette guidelines means there is little improvisation as I create the quilt. I have to plan ahead. To make a large quilt design it's best to begin with a sketch.
Final sketch for my Seasonal Palette quilt.
The sketch helps to plan out the quilt sections: sky, hills, water, grass. It also helps to determine the proportion, size, and placement of those elements. As I sketch I also glance at that large piece of white foundation fabric on my design board. It is really tall! The scale in my initial sketch is all wrong. I expand the sections and re-design the quilt. Now there is one large tree in the grassy foreground and tree lines on the distant farm land. This is a really tall quilt!

5 comments:

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

This will be really pretty!

Janelle said...

I know that you will do a great job though.

WoolenSails said...

I can't wait to see your progress of your new quilt.

Debbie

Emi said...

It'll look great, your works are wonderful.
CONGRATULATIONS.

Big hugs from COSTA RICA.

Cornwoman said...

I love the final drawing! It definitely "feels" right, just looking at it.