Monday, November 05, 2012

Seasonal Palette Quilt #7: Fabric Selection

Lurking fabric.
At last some color! Picking out the color palette for the Season Palette quilt entails a review of the hand-dyed fabrics I have in stock. There are 62 colorways in the Artfabrik collection to choose from and lots of hand-dyed fabric lurking in hidden corners of my studio.
Ironing lurking fabric flat.
Also lurking are some pre-fused fabrics from previous projects. (They got a little scrunched so I had to flatten them out with an iron.) These are the guidelines I set for myself when picking fabric colors:
  • Audition colors next to each other. Colors should be bright and Spring-like. Discard toned or greyed fabrics.
  • Choose a variety of colors for the field in the green palette. Flower color choices will be made at a later date.
  • Find water fabric in a light to medium aqua.
  • The hill/land is in green, yellow, orange, and blue colorways and values.
  • Tree trunks blue/purple.
  • Sky is in a light turquoise.
  • Take some fabrics from Artfabrik stock that measure 1 yard (sky and water fabrics) or ¼ yard (hills). 
A nice Springy palette.

Additional notes made in my journal during the fabric selection process:
  • Remember to take process slides of everything.
  • Improve handwriting so I can read my journal.
  • Do not be distracted by fabrics and start another quilt too.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Your color combinations are truly beautiful! I love color. The more the merrier!

Sherrie Spangler said...

My eyes are feasting on that first photo! What glorious colors. I'd be tempted to just put a big bowl of those scraps on the coffee table and call it art.