Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Seasonal Palette Quilt #8: The Sky

Hand-dyed fabrics for my Seasonal Palette quilt.
My palette of hand-dyed fabrics for the Seasonal Palette is all fused and ready to go. After referring to my sketch I think about the order of quilt construction. Fusing is a system of layering or stacking of fabric. Elements are created and placed in a certain order.
After the fabric is fused, remove the release paper and save the paper. Save the fabric. Save yourself!
The background collages must be made first before adding the top layers of tree, leaves, and flowers. My first background section to construct is the sky. It's made up of a set of light aqua blues with a few lavender streaks.
Cut the sky fabric on the bias.
The sky collage is made up of bias cut strips. A bias strip doesn't fray so my sky will be fray-less as well a light aqua blue. Who could ask for anything more?
Overlap the bias strips.
The bias strips are slightly overlapped and built as a collage on release paper. Here are the notes from my beloved journal so you can play at home:
  • Cut the sky fabric (about 1 yard of each colorway) on the bias.
  • Cut wavy strips (about 1” – 1.5” wide )to make the sky collage.
  • Make the collage 35” wide by 37” high by overlapping the strips on release paper.
  • Clean the iron!
  •  Fuse-tack strips into place onto release paper.
  • Make the top strip 35” x 4” to accommodate the binding process.
  • Overlap about ¼” placing darker value onto light and fuse-tack.
  • Clip strips to size. 
 At some point in the sky construction I get distracted and start making a collage from the clipping for fun. Seems I have a short little attention span when it comes to sky making.

2 comments:

Cornwoman said...

What? lol I'm so sorry....I got distracted by that little pile of blue snippets. So when you are making the sky out of these strips, do you have a rule of thumb as to how you are placing them? Or are you just winging it?

Laura Wasilowski said...

Just winging it like usual!