Saturday, December 01, 2012

What's in Your Etui?

Like most of you, I learned to hand stitch using a standard thimble with a top. But as a young lass I took a job working beside a tyrant of a tailor. He made me switch to a tailor's thimble. And he was right. The tailor's thimble you see above is open on top and lets my sweaty finger air out as I stitch on hot summer nights.

I keep my tailor's thimble in my etui by slipping it over that pink strip of felt. There is a button hole at the top of the pink felt so I can button the thimble into place in the fold of my etui. Do you have an etui? Don't you wish we all had an etui?

7 comments:

Sequana said...

We all agree - we love your etui.

Maggie Szafranski said...

Etui is a great Scrabble word, and occasionally is found in crossword puzzles. But, alas, I am not organized enough to enjoy an etui!

Gene Black said...

LOL.. I need an etui.....Hmmmmm....you could make one for me. LOL...okay, fine, I suppose I can make it myself.

Margaret said...

I never knew about tailors' thimbles! This might just make it possible for me to wear one. I've always disliked having my fingers enclosed...

Cornwoman said...

I have a couple etuis, though my favorite one is getting worn out from using it almost exclusively.

Thimbles have never been something that I've liked particularly, because my fingers like the fresh air. But, out of all of them that I own (I collect them), my favorites are the thick leather patches with sticky on the back AND also my ThimbleLady thimble.

It's a tube of metal that is open on both ends, that has a series of deep holes on the shaft in rows. I know that sounds much like yours looks, but it is very different looking and feeling, as it is much longer and the holes are in rows on one small section and the rest is smooth. I do love it and when I need a thimble, it's my "go to" one.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Yes, I have a wool etui that I made myself a few years ago. It has a pumpkin on the front. My dear hubby thought it was a taco instead of a pumpkin. Lol...I never have seen a taco with leaves..!

Sandi said...

I made myself a lovely wool crazy etui a couple of years ago when I was laid up with a broken bone in my foot.

I have a Roxanne thimble that also has an open end, I prefer it to my closed end thimbles, but had never seen a tailor's thimble.

Thanks for the explaination of my question about your thimble.