Thursday, January 03, 2013

Stress and the Improvised Quilt

Acorn by Laura Wasilowski
When filming the 3 projects for my new Craftsy class, I had to create multiple step-outs or versions of the projects. For weeks I talked to myself and rehearsed out loud the process of creating the projects. (Luckily no one else was in the studio at the time.)

Add caption
And then I had a brilliant idea! Why not show my Craftsy students how I really work by improvising a quilt design on the spot? That meant I could not prepare any step-outs ahead of time and instead had to build a new quilt on camera right then and there.
See my woven swamp grass?
And so my stress level  grew to the size of Manhattan until the day of filming. (It may have been a brilliant idea but it was also a crazy idea!) After selecting a set of fused scraps from the 3 Craftsy projects, I added scraps from the Acorn quilt above. I improvised a quilt design on the spot as the Craftsy camera crew filmed away. Can you see the origins of the design for this improvised birdhouse quilt? If you check out my Craftsy class, Hand-Stitched Collage Quilts, you'll see how I made it. Then tell me if I look as stressed as I felt.

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

Ooh..i haven't watched that far yet.....I can hardly wait.
But I promised myself I would make the quilt in each section before I move on to watching the next one.
Darn!

Purl Buttons said...

I heart that acorn so thoroughly, I believe I will have to make one for myself.

Jessim said...

I didn't think you looked stressed out at all. I thought you were doing it 'for real' but my husband who was in the back of the room reading told me "she has it all planned, she planted the scraps she needs for her design in that pile".

You sure fooled him!

Connie said...

Your acorn is really neat, I'm going to have to get out the bag of scraps you sent me and.....play!

Nancy said...

Brilliantly crazy idea? What's wrong with that? I'd give you feedback on your stressed out look, but I'm watching and doing in order... even though tempting to move on ahead. I'm sure you seem calm and serene, though perhaps in turmoil on the inside.

Cornwoman said...

Hmmm...I love crazy and brilliant ideas!! I will have to watch and let you know.

Beth said...

I am sure you did not look stressed. I will get that class and check it out.